Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
The staff and governors of SS Peter and Paul Catholic Primary School are committed to ensuring that every child makes progress and develops their full potential emotionally, socially and academically. Children make progress at different rates and it is important that children are supported when they need extra help. In some cases there are specific reasons for learning difficulties and in these cases a child maybe identified as having Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND).
A pupil is identified as having SEND if they have special educational needs or a disability that makes it significantly more difficult for them to learn and make progress than their age-related peers. SEND is categorised into the six main areas below:
- Learning difficulties – in acquiring basic skills in school.
- Social, emotional or mental health difficulties – such as making friends, relating to others or behaving appropriately in school.
- Specific learning difficulty – in reading, writing, maths or understanding and processing information.
- Sensory or physical needs – such as hearing or visual impairments, or physical difficulties that may affect the child’s ability to learn in school.
- Speech, language and communication difficulties – in expressing themselves or understanding others.
- Medical or health conditions – which may impact on a child’s ability to make progress and/or involve treatment that affects their education.
If you have a concern about your child's progress you can contact their teacher or the SENCo (Carol Burns) through the school office.
The following outside agencies can also provide support for parents with children with SEN:
0117 989 7725 / email@example.com
Information Advice and Support line open 10am -2pm
Monday, Wednesday & Friday (term time)
KIDS Independent Supporters
0117 947 6111 / IS.SouthWest@kids.org.uk
Information and Support line open 9am—5pm, Monday- Friday
(Support with EHCP)
Bristol Parent Carers
0117 939 6645 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Monday, Tuesday & Thursdays